Letter Quiz

Blockbuster style learning resourceA familiar style of quiz for use on the interactive whiteboard. Click a letter to choose it. Ask the question along the lines of “Which T is a…” Select which team got it right, choose a new letter.

A new set of letters is generated every game but it never includes the letters X and Z.

UPDATE: You can now select upper or lower case letters as requested by a user.  Choose the case then click reset.

A bank of questions for Maths is also included. As it is a themed bank some letters are problematic. If anyone can think of better ones for J please comment below.

Go to flash based learning resource.

Go to HTML5 iPad and tablet compatible learning resource.

Get maths question bank.

A user has kindly submitted a greatly expanded set of maths questions for this resource. The variety in this set should allow for much better differentiation as you can pick a question appropriate to the student.

Extended maths questions.

There is a supporting article on how to use this resource with others on this site to support teaching effective internet research on teacherledplus.com

Please contribute any other themed questions you have for this quiz for others to use. to this address:

submit teaching resources

17 comments for “Letter Quiz

1. Merran
    April 25, 2008 at 5:31 am

So do I come up with a word from the letters generated and then go from there?

2. admin
    April 25, 2008 at 9:07 am

For general knowledge quizzes I use a dictionary. If the student picks letter T, for example, I flick to the T section of the dictionary and find an appropriate word. Then I ask “What T is a…” and read out the definition.

For more subject specific quizzes you’d need to make a question bank like the Maths one. I will try and come up with some question banks for different subjects but it takes time to come up with three questions for every letter. If anyone does create a question bank and would like to contribute it, it would be very welcome.

3. NancyH
    February 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm

What J is used as an exaggeration for a whole bunch of something? (Jillion)

4. April 3, 2009 at 8:51 am

What a fantastic resource. The learners enjoyed the game and the lesson was thoroughly enjoyed. The question bank is a very good idea and had a lot of useful relevant questions.

5. Margaret
    April 17, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Great ! Thank you.

Alternative source of questions:Have individual students suggest questions with answers that begin with as many letters of the alphabet as they can for a teacher’s question like this – “What should we know about _____” ex. What should we know about mammals? solar system? weather? simple machines? global warming? It becomes a student’s thinking challenge to construct the questions & provide answers which are then compiled to make the quiz set of questions. (If his own good questions arise in the Quiz, the student could be identified but can’t give the answer.)

6. admin
    April 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm

An excellent suggestion. Thank you for sharing.

Spencer

7. Anne
    April 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

This is such a brilliant resource.
    I’m using this on my level 3 creative and media on observation day!
    Thank you so much for sharing.

8. admin
    April 25, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Thank you for the compliment. If you have a good question list for your subject perhaps you might contribute it for others to use?

Spencer

9. sarah dixon
    April 27, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I intend to use this resource for a reward lesson with my special needs students tomorrow. I am going to use the question cards I have from a Junior Blockbusters game .

10. Roger
    December 3, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hi, I have been using the letter quiz and the kids really enjoy it. I teach ICT and have developed a couple of word banks, one based on sound and the other on Database, and mail merge.

I am more than happy to share these but not sure how to do this?

Thanks for a great resource

Roger C

11. Spencer
    December 3, 2009 at 11:02 pm

If you’d like to contribute your question list for others to use please forward them as an attachment in any popular format to the email address on the about page and I’ll format them and make them available to others. Let me know how you’d like to be credited on them.

Thanks for your generosity.

12. Peter Fogarty
    November 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

This is an amazing resource. I found some boards which were on PowerPoint, so static, but never a random one like yours! If you do get a bank of questions about other topics, I would love to see them!

13. Adam
    January 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Many thanks for the game and the questions!!! My pupils will love it.
    :-)

14. Teacher 101
    February 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

AMAZING! :D

15. Julie Fuller
    March 18, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Hello

Is there anyway of downloading these resources. I work in a prison so have no internet access while there and have limtied technical capabilities. I have an interactive smart board but can only use things I can download and take in with me on disc.

Julie

16. Spencer
    March 19, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Hi, unfortunately not. Free sites need the continued visitation of their users to be able to support themselves. Once the resources are downloadable the visits drop off, and the site becomes financially nonviable.

I do feel for those such as yourself who can’t find a way around it but there is no other way it can work. Sorry. Spencer