Letter Dice

Teaching resourceThe first non-maths activity for this site.  Use as a starter or plenary activity in a literacy lesson. Click roll and the dice will generate a new set of letters.  The rules for how words can be made from the resulting letters will be left for the teachers to decide.

This resource is quite demanding on the computer.  Slower computers may glitch or temporarily freeze when the dice are rolled.  To minimise this make sure that no other applications are running at the same time as this resource.  If you have any suggestions or problems please leave a comment.

Go to learning resource.

20 comments for “Letter Dice

1. Clare
    April 7, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I love your spelling game! I’ll definitely be trying it on my Y4 class. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

2. Blueowl99
    August 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm

This is a great idea to support spelling!

Many thanks

3. Jennybean
    November 25, 2008 at 10:38 am

This is so cool! I saw it and went “Cooooooool”, just like kids do ! It’s like the Boggle game and I’m going to dig out the rules and let the whole class work together to learn the game and then put it into my Literacy Workstations as an activity for spelling! Thanks.

4. admin
    November 25, 2008 at 11:26 am

I couldn’t possibly say where its inspiration came from…

But glad you like it.

5. Robbie
    November 22, 2009 at 7:12 am

I just wanted to thank you. My class absolutely loved this and have been begging to do it again!

6. Henk
    February 10, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Gee, I like all this stuff on teacherled. And although I’m teaching in the Netherlands I can use it (almost) all.
    Terrific.

7. March 28, 2010 at 1:06 am

Can the game be played using lowercase letters for younger students

8. Spencer
    March 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm

That’s a good idea but I would need to redraw the graphics for all of the letters. I will put it on the list but it will take some time.

9. Mrs W
    May 15, 2010 at 1:52 am

This is great. I already use a very similar activity as a way of getting kids to sit down and be quiet after lunch. When they come in, this can already be on the IWB, they can sit down and have 3 minutes to get as many words as possible. It encourages them to sit down and settle quickly, as well as work quietly.

I love that I no longer have to use handouts for this! Saves paper, time and energy. :) Fantastic! Thanks so much.

10. Stuart R
    May 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Now that’s clever!
    What a Great way to get students thinking about the structure of words they spell.
    You could even teach spelling rules incidentally while playing a scrabble game!
    I wonder if you could use the letters to come up with simple sentences…?
    Thanks for a useful resource. Can’t wait for the lower case version.

11. Amy
    July 8, 2010 at 10:02 am

Great game!

12. August 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm

My senior primary class absolutely love this! We use it weekly in one of our sessions. We have class and individual challenges with points awarded for the length of each word.

13. Rachel
    September 14, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Perfect!Just what i have been looking for!My class will love this!I cant wait to try it out tomorrow to see how many nonsense words they can make!Thank you! =)

14. Geri
    October 1, 2010 at 3:11 pm

class website! :-)

15. Noelia
    November 4, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Love this, I’ll be using it tomorrow in my spelling lesson. Gracias :)

16. Spencer
    November 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm

De nada :)

17. Bev
    October 25, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Have been doing something similar to this with secondary school students and awarding credits / merits for longest word, largest number of words achieved in x minutes, words over 8/10/12 letters long get 1 credit each, any specific words related to topic being covered e.g. ICT/Audacity/making a radio advert get 1 credit per 2 words (depending on letters available). Students love my game making words from a given word /words but will love this more. Thanks for sharing!

18. Bertus
    March 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Thank you for this excellent game. Will use this for second language learners. What about presenting the letters in lower case? What about making the vowels all the same color?