Shape Reveal

Screenshot

An interactive whiteboard resource for facilitating discussion on 2d shape properties.  Scratch the panels to uncover sections of the shape then think about what the revelaed section shows.

Inspired by the fact that students seem to love “wiping” the interactive whiteboard.  A set of shapes are obscured by a scratchcard.  Either direct the student to a suitable square or let them choose.  They can scratch off the covering and reveal part of the shape underneath.  A discussion about shape properties can then be had.

The instructions include a key to the shape numbers and which part of the grid covers which part of the shape.

Flash Player 9 required.

Go to learning resource.

Get instructions.

14 comments for “Shape Reveal

1. EBD35
    February 19, 2008 at 10:57 pm

My kids will LOVE this!!!
    Many thanks :)

2. Spencer
    February 19, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Thank you for your feedback. I hope they have fun!

3. February 24, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Thank you for sharing these great resources with us! Your website is really useful and very easy to use.

Keep in touch

4. Spencer
    February 24, 2008 at 4:32 pm

You’re welcome. I have more in progress, I hope you like those too.

5. patricia
    May 21, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Wow| these resources are better than any I have seen..great ideas and beautifully presented. I hope you have more. This could really make a difference to some children and a lot of teachers too.

6. Spencer
    May 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Thanks. Plenty more resources are in the pipeline!

7. Kath G
    June 1, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Very impressed, can’t wait to try some of these out with my class. Very easy to use and download and no membership to sign up for – well done!

8. smallholder
    August 25, 2008 at 2:56 pm

I think this is a brilliant resource. I wonder if you have thought of doing this with letter shapes ? It would be really great for my SEN kids.

9. Spencer
    August 25, 2008 at 6:48 pm

That’s a great idea. I will do a letter version. Thanks for the suggestion!

Spencer

10. smallholder
    August 26, 2008 at 6:06 pm

If you do can you do an upper case and a lower case version? In the lower case version a rounded a and g rather than the font on here would be best ie. comic sans or infant sassoon. I know some people want everything!

11. Spencer
    September 9, 2008 at 8:52 pm

An uppercase letter version is now online. Follow the alphabet resources link on the left hand side.

Lower case to follow… The letters need to be drawn as I can’t use fonts for this. I’ll make sure I draw them with the a and g as you suggest. It’ll take a bit of time though.

12. Rebecca
    January 18, 2010 at 1:11 am

Hi Spencer, I make a similar activity to this using Interwrite software. I use the spotlight feature to drag around and reveal properties of shapes. (I include 3D). When the students have correctly named shape I turn off spotlight. This reveals shape and jumbled letters of name. Students drag letters to correctly spell shape. I like the simplicity of yours, would be great with some 3D shapes as well.

13. Mrs A
    October 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Amazingly useful (and fun) website. Thank-you sooo much for sharing. :)